How to Choose an Inflatable Kayak
So you’ve made the decision that an inflatable kayak is your best solution – now, how do you select the one right for you?
There are a number of issues you may wish to consider when selecting an inflatable kayak. Some of these include:
- Do you want the ability to paddle with another person (tandem), do you wish to paddle solo or do you want both options.
- What type of water conditions will you typically encounter. Coastal, ocean, calm lakes, swells, whitewater, surf, moving rivers, etc.
- What size kayak do you need; what is your size and height
- Will you be carrying a lot of paddling gear
- Do you plan on long excursions, short paddles or all-day use
- What type weather or water temperatures will you be paddling in. Do you want the ability to use a spray skirt or do you prefer a more open design?
- Do you need a self-bailing option
- What weight, length of kayak do you feel comfortable carrying around.
- What are your storage options
- Do you prefer more of a canoe-type paddle (sitting up higher from the water) or an enclosed type kayak that is lower in the water.
- Do you want a “pump-up-and-go” type kayak, or are you more detail-oriented and willing to spend more time setting a kayak up.
Once you’ve answered these questions, you can also read two articles we’ve put together to help you out.
- Guide to Choosing an Inflatable Kayak – What You Should Consider with detailed information on kayak styles, terminology and features.
- 2019 Comparison Table Guide to Choosing an Inflatable Kayak with detailed information on various models.